Tuesday 12 January 2010

Historical Context

Okay, so I'm no Indiana Jones. I'm certainly not a *famous historian*, but something jarred when I read that "windows 7 is the fastest selling operating system in history" (Craig Beilinson, Microsoft Director of Marketing). Well woop-to-do.

But isn't history far bigger than technology and far more complex than how many units have been sold? It felt odd that we can put the sales of software in the same category as the vastness of human experience.

Isn't it limiting?

I get that technology is an integral part of our lives - and in particular in the history of this generation. I can see that. But another statement (one I find a little obvious) is "iPhone 3GS is the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet". At least that statement (banal as it may be) doesn't compare the selling of some relatively short-lived collections of particles with the building of the pyramids, or the fossilisation of aquatic life.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, do you think?

No comments: