Tuesday 26 January 2010

None of the above

On the radio the other day, I heard a selection of Vox Pop clips including one where a man said:

"I want an extra box on the ballot paper for the election - a box for 'none of the above'. I don't want any of them".

While an indictment of many political animals in the UK, it got me thinking about who I would vote for.

Then I read Ian Pearson's ideas about re-designing democracy. Read it here.

His central idea:

At an election, why not allow people to vote for the party of their choice and also for the local candidate of their choice. So you tick two boxes, not much extra effort.

It's not a million miles from the current Scottish Election system where you get to vote for a candidate tied to a party and then to vote for a party.

I'd like to see this trialled on a local election and see what happens. See if more people turn out. Sure, some people might not get it first time out - but is that any different from just now?

Have a read and see what you think.

No comments: