Friday 6 February 2009

McColleague

Here's a question for you.

If, during the course of conversation, I was to talk about the people I work with as "McColleagues", what would you think of?

It seems that some people think that it's a comment on where I work, that it's like working at the purveyors of the Golden Arches. And that perhaps I'm having a go at the people I work with.

While I'm not a huge fan of Corporate McBurger, I'm really not having a go at anyone - honest! You see, I'm quoting various sketches by Steven Fry & Hugh Laurie from A Bit of Fry & Laurie. (interestingly, if you search for McColleague, four of the thirteen results on Google are for things I've written - wow!)

So perhaps it's a cultural thing that people make different associations. There's plenty people who *didn't* watch the televised genius of Msrs F&L. Also plenty people who hold no love for the McD brand or *some* of their employees.

Lesson for me yesterday - it's not what you say, it's what people hear that counts. I read Frank Luntz' book last year and agreed with a lot of the messages. The main theme being that you should make your messages as accessible as possible - but where do you draw the line, how far do you simplify it until you actually say nothing?

Not sure it's all 100% right, but what do you think?

No comments: